The temple-monument Alexander Nevsky Cathedral the Patriarchal Cathedral of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, which is located in the capital of Bulgaria Sofia, at the square of Alexander Nevsky, and is one of the urban landmarks of the capital of Bulgaria.
Was erected a Church in honour of the Russian Emperor Alexander II, known as the Tsar Liberator (serfs), the army in 1878, which liberated Bulgaria from almost five centuries of Turkish slavery. St. Alexander Nevsky, the name given to the Cathedral, was a Russian Prince, a great soldier and a diplomat. He is the patron Saint of Russian Emperor Alexander II and a symbol of military glory of Russia. The original intention was to build a temple in the ancient capital Veliko Tarnovo, but the Bulgarian Prince Battenberg insisted to build it in Sofia. 19.02.1882 G. was laid the basic stone. However construction was begun in 1904 and completed in 1912, when Bulgaria entered a period of wars. The consecration of the temple took place in 1924, the author of the project — Russian architect Alexander Pomerantsev. The height of the main dome of the Cathedral — 45 metres, the bell tower is 53 m, the area of the Cathedral is 3170 sq. m. The bell is 12 bells with total weight of 23 tons. The chime heard in a radius of 15 km. Continue reading
Today Hampi is a Ghost town inhabited by mostly apes. On the past power of its ancient inhabitants left only ruins of the once magnificent capital of a trading Empire Vijayanagar, which flourished in the mid 14th century. Meanwhile, Hampi continues to be a center of Hindu religion, in particular, due to the current and still Virupaksha temple.
The official history States that the capital of Vijayanagara was founded because of the good location of the area: on one side the city is washed by the river, with three others – was surrounded by inaccessible hills. In the early 14th century the Empire has been waging a fierce war with the followers of Islam, and the construction of large and well-fortified city was a response to the expansion of the Muslims.
Meanwhile, recently in the scientific circles there is information that, most likely, the village of Hampi, capital of Vijayanagara, is much older than was commonly believed. The fact that the ruins of the capital of the Empire, rising on the foundations of more ancient structures. Many scholars argue that the mysterious and unknown to modern science destroyed the town – the remains of Kishkinda, a mythical state of monkeys. Continue reading
Complex Apadana was located in the ancient Persian city of Persepolis, in modern Iran. The term “upadana” is also used to denote the same structure constructions in Persian architecture. Apadana Persepolis was mostly built in the V century BC by Darius I and completed construction of king Xerxes I. the Image of both rulers remained at the East door of the complex.
The Palace complex of Persepolis was located on a high terrace carved into the rock, in the shape of an irregular rectangle, and was enclosed by a strong wall. Platform partly consisted of natural rock, part built from the side of the valley. Masonry of blocks of grey limestone, the usual building material for buildings of Persepolis, are connected by iron cramps, without mortar, and reaches a height of 8-18 m. the walls of unbaked brick from the outside were niches, three doorways were lined with massive stone blocks. The highest is the South doorway led to a large inner square. Continue reading
The history of ancient Siberia is full of secrets and unsolved mysteries. Famous archaeologist Leonid Kyzlasov . opened in Khakassia ruins of the ancient city, comparable in age with the first settlements of Mesopotamia, offered to leave his excavations for future researchers. The world of science, remaining in the prison of Eurocentrism, not yet ready for such discoveries that will revolutionize all present ideas about the historical past.
In the first two photos – the ancient megaliths which owe their origin to the times, which are called, according to the biblical traditions, “ancient” or “prehistoric” (in Puru and Lebanon).
This summer is preparing the first expedition to Mountain Shoria, where recently a group of researchers headed by Tomsk historian Georgy Sidorov found unknown megaliths that could cause another revolution in our minds, as it was after the discovery of Arkaim in the South Urals in the last quarter of the last century. Continue reading
Huge internal space of Gothic cathedrals, under the arches which at one time could accommodate the entire population of the city, reduced to a remarkable unity. The new design has allowed to increase considerably the height and width of the interior.
Thanks to the high cut arches of the Central nave, over which is a massive gallery Emporia is located an easy catwalk of triforia disappeared impenetrable stone wall between the main and side aisles.
Disappeared cuboid Romanesque capitals and the architectural details, which could prevent uniform take-off of all architectural forms of the interior in height.
Gothic capitals is only a narrow belt, slightly protruding above the surface are finalizing their support. In a new type of architectural ornamentation varied floral motifs, as antiserotonin and gleaned from local French flora. Framing and reliefs decorating the cornices and capitals, they Express the idea of an organic, living growth inherent in the Gothic Church and its interior. Continue reading