Tyn Church

Tyn Church (the modern city. Týnský chrám) is the main Church of Prague’s Old town since the XIV century, the construction of which began in 1339 and was completed in 1511. The temple was built in the Gothic style. It is also called the Church of our lady before týn (in Czech. Kostel Panny Marie před Týnem). The author of the temple – Mathieu of Arras and Peter Parler. The altar was made in 1649 in the Baroque style by the artist Karel Screeu. The Church was the main Hussite Church of Prague of that time. Since 1424 the Church was also the home of the Hussite Archbishop Jan of Rokycany, who is buried here.

1621 the Church was passed to the Jesuits. He was then removed from the gold Cup main statue that symbolizes the Reformation; as well as removed the inscription “the Truth wins”. According to one legend, the Cup was removed from the storks who built the nest and had to carry out the frogs. Periodically frogs fell out and one day this frog fell to one very important person later ridiculed.

The two towers of the Tyn Cathedral, designed in the Baroque style (before the fire were in the Gothic style), reach a height of 80 meters. In 1679, the tower was struck by lightning and caused a fire that severely damaged the temple. It was renovated. The vaults of the Central nave, built in the Gothic style, were sementina vaults in the Baroque style. In this frame buried the astronomer Tycho Brahe, who lived in 1546 – 1601, He worked at the court of Emperor Rudolph II, together with Johannes Kepler.

On the North side of the Church of the virgin Mary on the tympanum depicts scenes from the life of Jesus Christ. One of the 19 altars in Baroque style were made by the painter Karel Shkreta. The body of the Church is considered the oldest in Prague. It was made by a German master Mundt in 1673. In altar of the right aisle is the Gothic statue of the Madonna and child in 1420. It is also called “Tyn Madonna enthroned”. Picture of the altar made in the form of the rise to heaven of the virgin Mary. But the virgin appeared here only in 1626, the sculpture instead of the “Hussite king”, which was gilded kalikh is a symbol of pricewise “under both”.

By the way, the spires on the tower of the Temple is not symmetrical. This shows the Gothic style building. This architecture symbolizes a man and a woman. One of the towers more thorough than the other. It symbolizes man, as the stronger side of the family.

Construction started back in the ancient days. Most of these were built out of wood that has long been considered the main construction material. Forests in Kievan Rus always had…


In the foothills of the Altai found mysterious megalithic complex
The history of ancient Siberia is full of secrets and unsolved mysteries. Famous archaeologist Leonid Kyzlasov . opened in Khakassia ruins of the ancient city, comparable in age with the…

Continue reading →