The temple-monument Alexander Nevsky
The temple-monument Alexander Nevsky Cathedral the Patriarchal Cathedral of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, which is located in the capital of Bulgaria Sofia, at the square of Alexander Nevsky, and is one of the urban landmarks of the capital of Bulgaria.
Was erected a Church in honour of the Russian Emperor Alexander II, known as the Tsar Liberator (serfs), the army in 1878, which liberated Bulgaria from almost five centuries of Turkish slavery. St. Alexander Nevsky, the name given to the Cathedral, was a Russian Prince, a great soldier and a diplomat. He is the patron Saint of Russian Emperor Alexander II and a symbol of military glory of Russia. The original intention was to build a temple in the ancient capital Veliko Tarnovo, but the Bulgarian Prince Battenberg insisted to build it in Sofia. 19.02.1882 G. was laid the basic stone. However construction was begun in 1904 and completed in 1912, when Bulgaria entered a period of wars. The consecration of the temple took place in 1924, the author of the project — Russian architect Alexander Pomerantsev. The height of the main dome of the Cathedral — 45 metres, the bell tower is 53 m, the area of the Cathedral is 3170 sq. m. The bell is 12 bells with total weight of 23 tons. The chime heard in a radius of 15 km.
The building of the Cathedral occupies an area of 3170 square meters and can accommodate 5 thousand people. The entire facade is faced with white stone from the region of Vratsa, the entrance doors were made of Slavonian oak.
The interior of the Church is unique and impressive, marble decoration, mural paintings and 82 icons made by Bulgarian, Russian and Czech artists. Among the authors painted oil icons and 273 of the frescoes of the temple 17 the envoys of Russia, including V. M. Vasnetsov, P. E. Myasoedov, A. I. Vakhrameev, A. M. Korin, A. A. Kiselev, N. Bruni, V. D. Bolotnov. Most of the murals was painted by Bulgarian artist H. Tacheva. Most impressive are the marble iconostasis, the Royal and Patriarchal thrones and the pulpit. Another value is the mosaic depicting Tsar Ferdinand (1887-1918 rules.) and Queen Eleanor.
Since 1964, in the underground crypt of the Church among tourists have the opportunity to visit the Museum of icons, where you can see about 320 ancient and modern icons and frescoes from different areas of the country.
As a monument, the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral there is no designated ward. Here are held daily, Sunday and holiday-public service and are not held christening, wedding and burial service. The temple is the second largest Orthodox Cathedral in the Balkans.